Monday 12 November 2012

The Chocolate Incident


Jumbled words in my head never fall into place
And these steps I keep on taking, often keep changing pace
Such hurried thoughts in my mind and with despair in my heart
I walked out of my home, hoping for a brighter start

And out there on the street, a little boy
Innocent eyes, innocent smile, could not have been more than ten
Working on a school project, walked with a paper and pen
And on his back a little bag, full of chocolates I believe
As he came hopping down the street
Offering one to me

I smiled and thanked and smiled some more
The sweetest thing in so long
I asked him if I could join him in the task
And maybe tag along?

So off we went onto the street
Giving chocolates to the world
Little sweets, little joys, to every boy and girl

And what I learnt that day my friends, is a little hard to put down
As I was forced to take a closer look at this crazy world around
When my new friend offered sweets to people on that oh-so-busy street
Most of them were forced to look at the kind act, so suspiciously
“Why is he offering me a sweet?” “Oh what does this child want?
Or “Is this just some dirty trick to extract money out of me?”
I saw as my friend went from one person to the next
Offering a chocolate people would have otherwise loved to take
And yet when it came from a stranger, it made them hesitate

That day I saw a bunch of bullies
Take from that little child much more than their share
I saw as a beautiful deed was met with too many a hostile glare

So why is it that though all of us seek goodness
Coming face to face with it we put it through a distrustful lens?
And though we all look out for happiness
Despite having reasons to smile, we choose to look tense?
And that chocolate incident made me wonder
Is this what happens when we grow up
That though we keep searching for it, waiting for it, looking for it
We still choose to react so coldly to love?

4 comments:

Re-writing Tu Hi Re

इन साँसों का देखो तुम पागलपन के आए नहीं इन्हें चैन मुझसे ये बोली मैं राहों में तेरी अपने बिछा दूं ये नैन Read more: https://www.hinditracks...